Sunday, October 29, 2017

Money Saving Adventures For Last Week

October 29, 2017

Hey y'all, it's me!

These days the weather is changing so fast, I dunno whether to wear short sleeves or a sweatshirt. We went from nice warm breezes to a cold front overnight this week, and then after church it was nice enough to open the windows again. Yep, I live in Texas!

This week I got ready for our church fall festival party by putting together a costume for very little money, using elements I already had in my closet and a few pieces I found inexpensively. I decided I wanted to be a Victorian Widow, and it was really easy to put together.


Fraidy Cat was not part of the costume, but I think for the photo she upped the creepy factor! I am wearing the lace up shoes from the costume I wore in the movie we shot this summer (still waiting on the final editing so we can see it), my yoga leggings, a black skirt I got from a friend who was purging her closet, a black tunic that I bought over ten years ago for 50 cents at a Catholic jumble sale, and the gloves I made with hot glue and some 'creepy cloth' I bought at DollarTree. I also bought another piece of the cloth to put over my hair to hide the blonde under the veil, which was made from a sheer curtain I found for $5 at Walmart, folded over and stapled together, then hot glued to a hair band from DollarTree. You can't see it, but I am also wearing a small silver dagger at my waist--I got it from a friend about ten years ago. The veil is over a small black cowboy hat a friend gave me recently--I just clipped the hair band around the crown so the veil wouldn't lay on my face. Total cost--$8.00. And it was a hit at the party. I would forget that folks couldn't see my face, and if I just stood still for a bit as I was listening to them talk, they would forget that I wasn't a prop. I scared quite a few people accidentally--it was funny. I also took second place in the costume contest (first place was a teen girl dressed as Wednesday Addams--she looked GREAT).



I also made a big pot of chili for the party--I used the recipe from Kent Rollins' YouTube channel;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPItJS1gtVY. It was easy, and tasted amazing. I had some of the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce leftover, so I used them in a batch of chipotle/cheese cornbread--now THAT was some good eating. I will post the how to for the chili later this week.


We are trying to cut out all eating out for a while, and so Friday night I made two pizzas for supper. I made a thin crust hamburger pizza for the Redneck and Obie, and I popped a cast iron pan pizza with mushrooms and onions in for me. I will also post the recipe for the crusts and toppings this week. It is so easy and cheap to make your own crusts for pizza, and if you have a food processor, it's even easier.




When I got to church this morning, I was gifted with a real treat--two big canning jars full of home pickled beets! My friend Suzy, who cans a lot, learned that I like beets, so she brought me these beautiful gems of color to enjoy. I opened them with lunch, and they are MARVELOUS. They are not gonna last long with me and Obie on the job. The Redneck is not a fan, so we don't have to share!

We had some of the chili from the party left over, so today for our lunch I heated it up. and while the Redneck had a plain old 'bowl o red', I made chili cheese quesadillas for Obie and me. I simply spread shredded cheddar cheese over a tortilla, spooned a nice bit of chili over that, and covered it with another tortilla, and zapped it for about a minute in the microwave. Not bad at all.

I cleaned out the 'man cave' this week, after living here for almost two years. It was finally time to clear out everything that wasn't supposed to be in there, so the Redneck can finally have his space. There is an alcove off to one side, and I am setting up our exercise equipment in there. It will be nice to have a place to use the weight training machine again.

One final money saving goodie--we got two more tickets to the Texas Motor Speedway for this coming weekend! Yes, we will get to see a NASCAR race this time, thanks to the generosity of our friends. You can bet I will have my trusty camera with me, documenting the fun for a post next week.

Well, I got chores. Later y'all.
© Evelyn Edgett 2017






8 comments:

  1. I am trying to stop all eating out too. It’s just so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know--I have more important things to spend my money on, like projects for the yard next spring. My plans for next year include from the second it's warm enough, Obie and I are going out in the yard and not coming in until we HAVE to!

      Delete
  2. Homemade pizza, chili, and costumes! Sounds like fall to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep--it's also time to experiment with hot cocoa and hot apple cider recipes!

      Delete
  3. Those pickled beets make me want red beet eggs sooo badly. I look for them everywhere but I dont think they exist this far north. I'll have to make my own. Anyway, enjoyed your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pizzas look yummy! I had rather eat at home, too. I think we have eaten out so much in my lifetime, that when we do eat out now days, I'm usually disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was married to my son's father so many years ago, I thought eating out was wonderful, and I was always talking him into it. Nowadays, if we eat out, it's usually a treat, like after church on Sunday, where we also spend time with friends. Next week, Obie and I will be helping set up the local library book sale, and after we have done our own book shopping, we will have lunch at The Rack across the street, where we enjoy a $6.00 cheeseburger special (cheeseburger and fries, and the staff cuts the burger in half for us!) Even with sodas for each of us, the bill will still be less than $20.00. That will be our treat for hauling boxes and setting up the sale. It will also be fuel for walking the three miles back home that afternoon!

      Delete